SO YOU’RE A RACIST TOO?
TRUMP SAYS INSANE RACIST THINGS AND YOU STAND SILENT?
RESIGN NOW, YOU’RE A TRAVESTY JUST LIKE TRUMP.
Postscript: since the publication of this article, this site has been under steady attack from an IP in the Russian Federation – hundreds of attacks per minute, using the search string ‘bryan baum’. Attempting to do an SQL injection attack. As usual, clumsy, sad and pathetic; i.e. very likely orchestrated by Extremists for Buck aka Pooty & Pals. Come clean Ken, you working with the Russians too? I thought commies were BAD…? You GOP’ers change your tune so much you’re like an eight-track on a paint shaker!
Just read about Stephen Bradley Mell, now 53, who pled guilty in court to sex crimes.
In the air.
With a 15-year-old.
TimesNow News has more background and it’s really sordid.
Mell clearly groomed his victim, arranged for a time and place, then knowingly put a dangerous vehicle on autopilot so he could have intercourse with a fifteen-year-old girl.
I mean, what could GO WRONG?
Final upshot: yet another victim in the neverending stream of abused, rich guy horks up some cash, hangs out for a few years and in all likelyhood, gets out and does it again – except now with expert support from people like Jeffrey Epstein.
Seven years in prison, five of supervised release, $40,000 fine, $32,500 restitution, $5,000 for Victims of Trafficking Act assessment.
Honestly? That’s it?
No punishment for doing something so reckless with an aircraft??
Does the FAA endorse sex while flying? They must… because I didn’t see a peep about them in the article. I’m just thinking of the people on the ground who could have easily gotten screwed as well if any of a number of things had forced the plane down.
One more case of aerial moronity.
YO. Air community. Let’s be safe up there. (cause it’s US you crash down on)
From Skeptophilia – Skepticism and sarcasm. Six days a week.
The civility dogwhistle
The way this is playing out today is usually couched in calls for “civility.” I hear well-meaning people — often people I agree with on many points — mourning the loss of civilized discourse in our society, implying that if we could just have a nice conversation with the bigots, the intolerant, the racists, the homophobes, that would fix everything.
The ultimate conclusion of this line of thought is the claim that we have to “treat all opinions with respect.” Which is not only wrong, it’s downright dangerous. I am under no obligation to treat the opinions of white supremacists with respect. My moral obligation, in fact, is to shout them down, make sure that they hear loud and clear that they cannot get away with denying someone’s rights, safety, or personhood.
The words “respect” and “civility,” in fact, have become dogwhistles. No matter how poisonous the claim, you can’t call it out as such, because that would be “disrespectful” or “uncivil.” It’s pulled the teeth from our capacity for confronting intolerance and prejudice unequivocally and forcefully, made us question ourselves when in fact we’re the ones on the moral high ground, we’re the ones who should be able to say, “No. This is wrong, and I will not let it go by unchallenged.”
For example, what do you make of this?
So what you’re saying is that if I disagree with you politically, I have no right to live in the same state as you? Or, according to the first person, no right even to live in the United States? Forget civility. If that’s your opinion, go to hell. And if that response bothers you, causes you to unfriend or unfollow me, or whatever, good riddance.
Then there’s Mark Chambers, the mayor of Carbon Hill, Alabama, who posted on Facebook, “We live in a society where homosexuals lecture us on morals, transvestites lecture us on human biology, baby killers lecture us on human rights and socialists lecture us on economics!… The only way to change it would be to kill the problem out. I know it’s bad to say but with out [sic] killing them out there’s no way to fix it.”
When he began to get backlash, he deleted the post and then lied, denying he’d written it. (A tactic Donald Trump is finding out doesn’t work so well.) Then he said that, okay, he wrote it, but it didn’t mean what it explicitly and obviously meant. “Although I believe my comment was taken out of context and was not targeting the LGBTQ community,” he wrote, “I know that it was wrong to say anyone should be kill [sic].”
This mealy-mouthed non-apology is unacceptable. Here we have an elected official who has suggested a Final Solution for the “LGBTQ problem.” This should be loudly, forcefully, and repeatedly challenged — and Mark Chambers should resign. Now.
Women: “Can I have birth control?”
Women: “I couldn’t get birth control so I got pregnant. Can I have an abortion?”
Women: “You prevented me from having an abortion so I’m carrying the fetus, but my employer won’t provide reasonable accommodations and is threatening to fire me. Would you please pass the Pregnant Workers Fairness Act?”
Women: “I had the baby, but I’m out of work. Can I have WIC and food stamps until I get back on my feet?”
Women: “I found a job, but it doesn’t offer me insurance. Can I have government guaranteed insurance?”
Women: “My kid got sick and I got fired because I missed time caring for him. Can I get unemployment?”
Women: “I’m having a hard time getting my kid from school consistently. Can we fund after-school programs?”
Women: “I’m prepared to work to support my family. Can you make sure that a full-time job’s minimum wage is enough to do that?”
Republicans: No. But what’s the matter with you and your family, that working two jobs can’t lift you out of poverty? And what kind of a mother are you, letting someone else watch your child while you work? If your child doesn’t do well in school or gets in trouble, it’s entirely your fault. You shouldn’t have had a child if you weren’t prepared to take care of her.”
Things I expect the 2020 Democratic nominee to support:
- Return the U.S. to the Paris Climate Accords, fast-track climate change measures domesticallyReturn the U.S. to the JCPOA
- ERA: It’s 4 decades overdue. Renew it, expand it to include race, religion, gender, etc., push it hard, pass it. Git ‘er
- Double-down on rectifying GOP ObamaCare sabotage, promote healthcare for ALL
- Establish fair working wage job standards
- Declare all out war on Citizens United. Draft a Constitutional Amendment that would regulate money in politics
- Challenge the NRA at every turn, push for a ban on military-style weapons from public ownership
- Fire every single functionary leftover from the Trump administration: CLEAN HOUSE! Fumigate, if necessary
- Abolish the tariffs
- Restore our commitment to NATO. Beg Canada, Mexico, Australia, our European allies to forgive us for our arrogance and bravado… even China
- Propose (internally) standards to deal with any future nations that attempt to interfere in our elections
- Reinstate the Fairness Doctrine
- Restart normalization of relations with Cuba. Offer olive branch to some other ostracized nations, even Iran, Venezuela, in exchange for specific diplomatic goals: Eliminate “my way or the highway” global U.S. attitude
- Declare war on RACISM, white supremacism. Establish defined parameters for race-based and faith-based terrorism
- Renew our commitment to a Two-State solution in the Middle East. Make any potential foreign aid to 👉🏼 either side 👈🏼 contingent upon it. Demand compliance with U.N. resolutions 242 and 338
- Make nepotism on a Federal level punishable by law
- Require all future Presidents, Supreme Court Justices, Senators, Congressmen/women to submit to a mental evaluation before they can serve
- Require all future Presidents, Supreme Court Justices, Senators, Congressmen/women to make their tax records public before they can serve
- Fund green programs, infrastructure, etc., restore all Obama era environmental, Interior Department, National Parks protections
- Restore the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau to previous administration’s vision. Regulate payday lenders. Unless she’s elected POTUS 46, insist that the job be given to Sen. Elizabeth Warren.
But… but Bruce! If we do all that, then NO Republicans will crossover and vote Democratic! It’s just
That’s 👉🏼 the POINT! 👈🏼 If we do all that, we won’t NEED to woo them. We’ll win everyone else. Okay?
So what did I leave out? 🤔 Feel free to amend it. Is there anything on this list that’s so unreasonable, so radical, so batshit CRAZY that any of the Democratic candidates for President couldn’t embrace it?
Let the above (or a reasonably modified version of it) be the foundation for the official platform. Let’s build on it.