Baum annouces. Is Santos next for mayor?

Santos challenging Baum?

Bryan Baum has announced that he is running for a second term of Mayor of Longmont. He made his announcement last Wednesday night in the very friendly setting of “Pints and Politics” sponsored by the Longmont Chamber of Commerce. It’s not enough that Baum is taking his marching orders from the long-standing power brokers of Longmont, but he has chosen to rub the community’s face in it with his relationship with those same individuals.

The announcement has removed some of the questions about the intentions of the far right extremists of Longmont. Although two years ago Katie Witt announced her intentions in March, it’s still a little early to announce.

One has to wonder if Baum made his early announcement to “clear the field.” Although Mayor Pro-Tem Gabe Santos and Baum vote the same on almost every issue, I can’t help but wonder if the announcement was made early in order to dissuade a challenge from Santos. Some tell me that there is tension between the two and that some of the Republicans in our community would prefer that Santos was the city’s mayor.

Almost no one has done more damage to the city of Longmont than Bryan Baum. And the worst of it is that he’s not done even for this term — much less a second term should he win. His mouthpieces, who also wreak considerable damage, claim that he’s undoing the two years of a progressive majority for Longmont. In fact, he’s undoing decades of progress. And all of this is coming from a political ideology that is absent any moral foundation.

If the city council retains an extremist majority, Longmont will be a place that causes much shame and even more distress to our residents’ future in Longmont.

6 comments for “Baum annouces. Is Santos next for mayor?

1. May 3, 2011 at 8:46 pm

The tension between Baum and Santos is obvious. Gabe’s stint as Tom Delay’s office manager clearly whetted his appetite for political office and it looks like his political ambitions are on a collision course with Bryan’s. I just hope they sink each other, Longmont would be the winner.

2. May 5, 2011 at 5:43 pm

When the council met with our local representatives (Brandon Shaffer, Deb Gardner and Matt Jones), there was also some buzz that Katie Witt and Gabe Santos might compete for Brandon Shaffer’s seat (state senator from Longmont)since Shaffer is termed-out at the end of 2012.

Here or elsewhere, Santos is the clone of Tom DeLay. It may be difficult for him to continue to be mentored by DeLay in the future. I doubt that cell phones are allowed in the slammer where felons usually end up.

3. May 5, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Gee, ya think people are upset that I pointed out Gabe’s connection to Tom Delay? Golly… that’s too bad. I guess mentioning his ‘attacks’ email would upset them too. Sorry about that kids, the public needs to know about this – and the people mentioned in it – some of whom can be seen gathering at this campaign event for Scott Gessler… who, oddly enough, was linked to horrible mailers like those used in the previous election… not to mention the hate-screed mass-mailed by a supporter of Bryan Baum. Such class the right in Longmont has (not). It’s time for Longmont’s Democratic community to stand up to these veiled theocrats and take back Longmont!

4. P. C.
    May 12, 2011 at 4:43 pm

I believe good sense, good conduct, good manners and taking responsibility are essential for public office. Longmont has so many examples of local elected failures in passing these basic tests. I’m very sorry to say that I witnessed our mayor and his wife miserably fail all of these basics in small claims court this week. I couldn’t believe the behavior, let alone the psychobabble and pure stupidity that both displayed as they attempted to convince the judge that they weren’t responsible. The judge saw through it. Now I must say that I was wrong in supporting Bryan in his last campaign. The question remains as to why such a person thinks he is worthy to have a political career. I’ve seen the real side to the Baums. Be a man and write the check and shut her up!

5. May 12, 2011 at 5:05 pm

You can count on seeing much more bad behavior from the mayor and his wife during the upcoming City Council Campaign – they’ve already tried once to have me arrested for remarks made on my Facebook page*. THAT’S how desperate they are to quiet any dissenting voices.

* The District Attorney’s office called them ‘not credible’ (IE bullshit).

6. T.Lichti
    May 13, 2011 at 11:56 am

During the last elections, a letter was sent to my mother from S. Baum. Gee, wonder how she got her name and address? Instead of addressing it to her by her given name, S. Baum used the term my children call her. (A nickname for Grandma) So glad the Judge saw through them at the small claims court.