A reminder about copyright

To our readers, supporters and particularly our detractors and attackers – please feel completely free to link to FRL or use short snips of text per fair use. However, copying entire articles is a direct violation of copyright law and will be dealt with immediately. Here’s an example of a recent DMCA takedown from one of the anonymously-operated ‘spin sites’1 :

Location (URL) of the unauthorized material on a WordPress.com site (NOT simply the primary URL of the site – example.wordpress.com; you must provide the full and exact permalink of the post, page, or image where the content appears, one per line) : (offending site url redacted)

Access to the above material has been disabled. The site owner will be required to remove the content from http://www.freerangelongmont.com/2011/08/25/expect-outside-influence/ before republishing the post.

Thank you.

Anthony
WordPress.com

This isn’t the first time content has been stolen from FRL or other of my sites – it’s a routine for the far-right in Longmont. So much for the ‘law and order’ crowd. Clearly they believe the law isn’t intended for them – just those pesky ‘little people‘ – Mayor Baum and his supporters need to clean up their act. Also, the mayor needs to remember his place as a civil servant. So far he’s been neither.

Another point – just because a site has an image of the Civic Center on it does not neccessarily mean it’s official or represent the policy or position of the City of Longmont.

Here’s how Rigo Leal from City staff responded when I checked whether a certain site was associated with the city:

In response to your question, the City of Longmont does not run this website2. Apparently the editor of this site has chosen to remain anonymous.

I too see the image of city hall on this site. The City’s public information office always discourages websites from making it appear as if they represent the city in some official capacity. That usually happens when someone “grabs” the city logo from the website and uses it to promote their agenda or product. When that happens we push pretty hard for a site to remove the logo. However, in the case of public buildings, facilities or recreation areas we have little recourse when a site posts that type of photo. They are, after all, public facilities.

-Rigo Leal

So, once again the extremists are desperately trying to attack, defame or discredit FRL – all the while wearing masks to conceal their identity but apparently hoping to fool people into thinking they’re speaking for the city or people of Longmont. That’s just cowardly and dishonest. Mayor Baum needs to be asked pointedly about his role and his supporters knowledge of the attack sites.

The public is urged to look closer and when someone claims they ‘need’ anonymity – ask why.

1. The name and url are omitted because I refuse to give traffic to anyone dead-set on attacking FRL. BTW, in my opinion it’s Mayor Bryan Baum and his wife running it… which is truly sad. They even use a photo of the Civic Center to make it appear official – it’s not, city staff indicates it most certainly is not.
  2. The same site that violated FRL’s copyright and has been desperately spinning stories about Bryan Baum. Is this a coincidence? In my opinion, no.

7 comments for “A reminder about copyright

1. Teresa Lichti
    August 29, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Commenting here is quite easy…just abide by the very reasonable rules. Anyone who doesn’t should not be surprised that their comments are not posted. Then again, many people out there aren’t the brightest of folks and will complain, whine and slander this site.

2. FRED BATES
    August 29, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Am I the only one who has seen the mayor’s re-election campaign RV? It’s a slightly old model, but well trimmed out in a white paint job with blue lettering (“Baum for Mayor”). And get this: when I saw it on a Longmont street a couple of weeks ago, the mayhor hisself was at the wheel. No, I didn’t see any antennas. On the RV.

3. August 31, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Wow, the pseudonymous person running the site in question nearly had a fit… but of course tried to pretend they did nothing wrong. The truth is, WordPress.com is very careful about DMCA takedowns and I’m sure wouldn’t have removed the content unless it had really gone over the line… so their cries of ‘foul! foul!’ ring a bit hollow. They also went to great lengths to deny my opinion of their identity, which just confirms my suspicions. I’ll say it again, WHY do they ‘need’ anonymity? Could it be that it would look really awful if they were exposed? The public is urged to consider that carefully when reading anything they see on the spin sites.

4. September 9, 2011 at 11:13 pm

Just a note – I’ve removed all the banned addresses (again) in an attempt to provide access to anyone who feels they’ve been “unfairly” blocked. Anyone that can read should be able to understand the commenting rules, please abide by them. Each ban will be explained in detail and the offending content attibuted and highlighted clearly so readers can see why.

5. September 13, 2011 at 9:41 am

Note the date and time of the comment where I indicated bans had been removed: 9/9 11:13pm. Any article claiming they could not see FRL due to banning is lying, not that it surprises us, just making the point.

6. September 14, 2011 at 11:40 am

Note, the offending site just published yet another attack article about FRL and indicated they had no interest in commenting, so they’re back on the ban list. All other bans have been removed per the comment above.

7. February 10, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Funny, but the attack site that keeps stealing content from FRL just got busted again and they’re laughably saying I should ‘be a man’ and just ASK them not to steal from me. Big talk from someone wearing a mask. The word for people that whine from anonymous accounts? COWARD. I don’t talk to pseudonyms or imaginary friends. If the weak-kneed and rusty-zippered cretin running the attack site that keeps stealing FRL’s content wants to talk to me, they should use their real name or get a helmet.