Forwarded to FRL by Phil Skergan, thank you Phil!
The content of this post is free for any to copy and distribute.
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people,
it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government
– lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.
The 26th amendment (granting the right to vote for 18 year-olds) took only 3 months & 8 days to be ratified! Why? Simple! The people demanded it. That was in 1971… before computers, before e-mail, before cell phones, etc. Of the 27 amendments to the Constitution, seven (7) took 1 year or less to become the law of the land… all because of public pressure.
Forward this web page to a minimum of twenty people; in turn ask each of those to do likewise.
In three days, most people in The United States of America will have the message.
This is one idea that really should be passed around.
Congressional Reform Act of 2011
- No Tenure / No Pension. A Congressman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they are out of office.
- Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security. All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress participates with the American people. It may not be used for any other purpose.
- Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.
- Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.
- Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.
- Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.
- All contracts with past and present Congressmen are void effective 1/1/12. The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen. Congressmen made all these contracts for themselves. Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term(s), then go home and back to work.
- Members of Congress may not accept gifts, meals, trips, etc… from lobbyists, etc… They will always pay their own way and use approved expense accounts.
- Corporations are banned from political speech, as that right belongs to individuals and to nonprofit organizations chartered for political speech, funded by individuals, and reporting all donations.
- All voting districts will be determined by independent commissions adhering to sensible criteria that disregard political party affiliations and emphasize common geographical interests.
- After MoC’s and high-ranking officials in government leave government, they may not lobby for or work in an advisory capacity for the industries that would benefit from their contacts in government or legislation that they have shepherded.
- Anyone meeting the requirements as a legitimate candidate for Congress will receive funds allocated by the government for their campaigns to use as needed. No other funds will be used for their campaigns.
- To allow for more than two-party rule, all Federal elections will operate on an “instant runoff” basis, so that the people’s most preferred candidates win elections where three or more candidates run on a ballot.
- The House and Senate may not adopt rules that preclude majority rule. No single-party control, no easy filibusters, no supermajority votes not specified in the Constitution. Control of the houses of Congress will be shared in the proportion determined by the outcome of elections.
- All candidates for government posts sent to the Senate for confirmation will receive prompt attention, without political delays, or the candidates will be accepted without the consent of the Senate.
If each person contacts a minimum of twenty people then it will only take three days for most people (in the U.S. ) to receive the message. Maybe it is time.
THIS IS HOW YOU FIX CONGRESS!
If you agree with the above, pass it on.