Dog attack goes unmentioned

Hedensten’s dog’s neck injuries

Additional injuries to Hedensten dog

On July 4, 2010 as my wife Michiko was walking our dog, 2 dogs broke through their owner’s fence and attacked our dog, a medium Dachshund. The larger dog had him down when my wife grabbed our dog and ran for home, getting several bites to her hand, and our dog also had several bites.

The 2 dogs chased my wife to our home, about ½ block, and when she came in I was able to get both dogs into our home and lock them in our pantry area. I called 911 to report the dog attack.

Animal Control dog bite report

Animal Control came out and picked up both dogs (very quickly too). I then took my wife and dog to their respective hospitals, the resulting dogs bill being over $600 and wife’s over $1000.

Now this is where it gets interesting!

I watched the paper since they normally report on 911 calls.  But nothing appeared, although almost 2 months later a police report included a 911 call for a boy being bitten by a dog.

The next day, while the Animal Control Officer was at the house, a car pulled up and a man whom I didn’t recognize came up to me and introduced himself as Bryan Baum (Mayor of Longmont). He apologized for their dogs getting out and biting my wife and dog. He told me to bring the bills over when we got them and he’d take care of them. He explained the fence had rotted from all the water being used by the HOA on the other side of his fence and he had subsequently put up a new metal fence on his side to prevent it from happening again. Not once did he state the dogs belonged to his wife.

Since then I had several calls with the court in Longmont. In the last one they told me the dogs belong to Bryan’s wife. When we first went to court on October 28th, 2010, they ruled on only the dog’s expense, and my wife’s bills would have to be filed in small claims court.

Claim Filed in Boulder County Court for small claims.

Well, we filed in small claims court and had papers served on February 14, 2011. The case went to trial on May 5th, 2011 at 2:00PM, case number 2011 S 000054. The case was found in our favor and Ms Stephanie Baum was ordered to pay the sum $566.62.  At that time Stephanie burst out in court she could not afford this as she had been out of work for almost 1 year. I hate to say but I had been out of work since Jan. 2010, and all the expenses had gone on our credit cards with their interest. Most interestingly, when I went up front in the court room to pick up some papers, my wife left the court room and was spoken to in a loud voice by Mr. Bryan Baum.  He said both of us were trying to ruin his political career, and he would sue if we didn’t stop.  A friend of ours was there and heard this.  When I came out of the courtroom Mr. Baum started in on me, and a Police Office of the courts told him to calm down and leave the court house.

I’d be glad to talk more on this!

Trial audio – Ruling by Judge Karolyn Quevli  (mp3)

19 comments for “Dog attack goes unmentioned

1. Thomas Ilken
    October 18, 2011 at 6:18 am

So the self-annointed “First Lady of Longmont” (fLOL) whined that she couldn’t pony up $566? Sounds like her supposed “wealth manager” husband isn’t doing a very good job of managing his own household’s money. Need a loan, Stephee?

2. Andrea
    October 18, 2011 at 3:25 pm

If they were worried about his political career, they never should have forced this issue to go to court over what is a relatively small amount of money. I don’t understand why they wanted this to go on the record instead of just paying it. I also don’t think this was an attempt at a political career assassination on the part of the victim. They probably sent the bill to the husband at the mayor’s office in an attempt to embarrass him into paying, as clearly neither of them wanted to accept responsibility for the bills.

3. James Kenworthy
    October 19, 2011 at 9:47 pm

On Oct 19, 2011, at 9:25 PM, James Kenworthy wrote:

Holy shit! The mayor’s dog bites a human. Human calls 911, and they go to court. The court finds in favor of the victim. The mayor threatens to sue the victim and her husband because the victims are ruining his political career. The Times Call makes no mention of this in the “newspaper.” All 911 calls are routinely reported in the “newspaper” except for this one. WTF?

SCUSE my languge. pass this on. It’s what we need to know.

4. James Kenworthy
    October 19, 2011 at 9:51 pm

And the victims have to take the “mayor” to small claims court.

This guy has got to go. Who does he think he is?

5. Andrea
    October 20, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Anyone see this? http://www.coloradopols.com/diary/16584/its-good-to-be-mayor-of-longmont

This has been one long attempt at political assassination. That’s probably why this has been reported on so aggressively by TC and the local blogs prior to this post.

Was the judgement ever paid?

6. October 21, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Just got interviewed by PJ from the Times-Call so I assume some more coverage is to come. One thing that came up was that the final judgement got paid – Mr. Hedensten did mention that he has gotten paid.

7. October 25, 2011 at 12:20 am

Neither of the Baums believe personal responsibility is something they must exercise. It’s only for other people. I wonder if the Times-Call will shill for them if/when they publish an article on this.

Everyone knows Dean Lehman carries Baum’s water. Word on the street says Baum doesn’t save his screaming just for those he opposes. He’s screams at Lehman, too, if Lehman doesn’t sufficiently whitewash his (Baum’s) actions.

8. Jason Meisel
    October 25, 2011 at 6:39 am

Well, it made it on the front page of both the TC and the Boulder Camera today. Interesting to see that Baum has now threatened the TC. Does this guy ever think before he speaks/acts?

9. Gregory Iwan
    October 25, 2011 at 11:32 am

Municipal. A spouse of a Mayor really ought to know how to write that word. Multiple times. I have observed the lady working feverishly on her laptop at almost every City Council meeting I have attended. Maybe the subject matter of her efforts was not connected to the business in the room. That’s fine. But how we LOOK in public is important, if we are “public.”

10. Wayne Housted
    October 25, 2011 at 1:44 pm

You “progressives” take the cake. (other people’s cake).

The mayor paid. Get over your petty-selves and stop infecting Longmont with your Boulder-wannabe aspirations.

11. Sid
    October 26, 2011 at 8:43 am

LOL @ Wayne. Watching right wingers such as yourself quake in your boots at the thought of a rapidly increasing progressive population in Longmont is worth putting up with your childish barbs.

Get used to it, Wayne-o. This town is now officially “infected”!

12. Gregory Iwan
    October 26, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Proof up above that this site allows dissent, unlike some others who need not be named. I hasten to point out that it’s not aspersion to Boulder or what some THINK Boulder “is” or stands for, that gets a few danders up. As I see it, many in Longmont are jealous of the county seat. I don’t care much for Boulder, but its unemployment rate is among the ten LOWEST of all cities in the COUNTRY. Through the recession it continued to grow AND TO BUILD; why? Could it be because opportunity, a critical mass (labor, though there is a deficient jobs-housing balance over near the Flatirons), even synergy all exist in the “803” ZIP Codes? What, ho! Maybe businesses would rather thrive in a “progressive” environment than find it necessary to try to survive in a situation rapidly beginning to look like Al Capone’s Cicero, Illinois, during Prohibition. Boulder has a good deal more transparency, like it or not, and even more fairness. Really? That’s what growth RESULTS will get you. The business sector in Longmont would kill for growth. And they yet may. The victim? The golden goose of the future. Done well, done right, and “economic development” almost takes care of itself. When’s the last time you heard of Boulder, Colorado, having to shell out millions to a company just to locate there? Yes, they get their closures and move-outs, too. But I challenge anyone who knows how to go down there and count retail vacancy, for starters. And it’s not only because of the University. If it were, few businesses not related to CU would cluster there. Go ahead; do an economic census. The lead tenant in Longmont is “for lease.” It rankles. So the solution? It’s the Kevin Kostner baseball-field-in-Iowa routine: if you build it, they will come. No, they won’t. Besides, if you watch the sales prices of homes (yeah, a few are selling) in Longmont PER SQUARE FOOT, there isn’t one builder who can put new sticks and bricks up for anything like those numbers. These guys are desparate to realize something out of their sunk land costs around here, but THE MARKET taketh away. Not Boulder, at least not in an absolute or regulatory way. The “conservatives” need to get over this angst about Boulder. Longmont could again benefit from proximity to Boulder, as it did when IBM opened. After all, that’s why the Diagonal Highway was built. Figure that out and quitcherbitchin’.

13. October 26, 2011 at 6:34 pm

“These guys are desparate to realize something out of their sunk land costs around here, but THE MARKET taketh away.” This is the issue in a nutshell Land speculators apparently believe that market downs should not apply to them. They expected only one direction — up. Now they are crying in the milk (or is it booze) and begging the city (read property/sales taxpayers) to bail them out. What boggles the mind is why they would send good money after bad to build that which would sit empty. But I guess that is what gamblers do — cover the last lost with the next roll of the dice.

14. FRED BATES
    October 27, 2011 at 9:51 am

Gregory Iwan, I don’t get around to Boulder much anymore. What’s not to like there?

15. Gregory Iwan
    October 27, 2011 at 12:39 pm

In a word, TRAFFIC! Cars, yes, plus myriad bicycles, walkers, haulers of every size and description. It’s maddening! But one cost of growth. I retired to Longmont in large part because it DID NOT have this kind of (boom) economy. Ask Williston, ND, or Lawton, OK. They’re going nuts. Williston pays a hamburger flipper $15 an hour. That SOUNDS great, but what’s it cost to rent a double-wide? Never read only the tea leaves, pilgrim.

16. December 14, 2012 at 6:03 pm

So, here we are just a bit over a year later and the ex-mayor’s wife, after whining in court that she was ‘broke’ and ‘unemployed’ is now crowing on Twitter about their vacation trip. – so it seems pretty obvious to me that she was lying through her teeth about that. ‘Living the good life’ clearly doesn’t include being honest or accountable when it comes to her.